{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tclean carpets.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t2.9 KB ID:\t11526","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"11526","data-size":"thumb"} Your Sellers have probably asked you this question hundreds of times over the years, about the condition to leave a home when moving out. My answer is to clean like you are having your judgmental boss over for the day, and you know they will want a tour of your entire home. I want the counters wiped down, sinks and tubs scrubbed, appliances spotless, fixtures wiped down. I prefer they have the carpets professionally shampooed and windows cleaned. I talk to them about this when I take the listing, so I can gauge how receptive they are, particularly if their home is not that clean.

Moving is stressful, and so is spending a lot of money, and so is commitment. Buyers are moving, spending, and committing. Sellers should make every effort to ease their burden.

The Sellers may have denied making some repairs, or not budge on their price in a negotiation, or both. An although the price might have been fair and the repairs silly, a Buyer still may have the impression that the Seller was difficult and unbending during the transaction. Buyers will forgive the hard feelings pretty quickly if they feel like the Sellers made a huge effort to make their transition easier on them.

This is my advice to Sellers because Buyers will undoubtedly have a few things go wrong with the house when they move in. It is the nature of buying a used home. If the last impression they had of them was a great impression, then the likelihood of them blaming the Sellers for all of the things that go wrong are significantly lower, resulting in a lower liability for the Sellers.

I was talking to a client who is a psychotherapist a few years ago. When I told her how I want the house spotless when she moves, and that it was my opinion that it reduces a Sellerís liability. She told me that she was involved in a study that indicated that people rarely sue people they like, even if they really have grounds to sue. She agreed the house would be spotless!
Sometimes if I have had a transaction that was rough, or that the Seller was overly difficult, I will take flowers to leave for the Buyer, supposedly from the Seller. I leave a note that wishes them the best and will detail all the items that were completed for them. I just let them believe the note and flowers were from the Seller. I do this because I know human nature, and that one last kind gesture is going to make the damage that was caused seem a bit less biting.

The people that come over in those first few days will see the flowers and ask about them when the Buyers tell them that the Sellers left them, they are reminded what a kind gesture that was over and over by their visitors. They will also likely hear their nightmare stories about a Seller they had bought from. Suddenly your difficult Seller is a rock star, and your job is done!

On the flip side, if I am representing a Buyer and a Seller leaves a house really nice, I emphasize that this does not always happen, and stress how sweet it was for the Seller to go through so much trouble to make their move easier for them.
Attached Files